7.30.2008

A Sad Farewell...

to my wonderful grandmother, Tissie. Tissie passed away last Sunday night after a hard fought battle against cancer. Cancer is a nasty thing and I really don't like it right now. It took someone away from me that I loved so very much. It makes me sad to think that my cheerleader on the sideline for so many years, my shopper at heart, my traveler of the world, and my crazy but loving grandmother was taken away from all of us. I never really thought the day would come that I had to say goodbye to someone that I love so much. Well last Sunday was that day. My family and I had been at the nursing home that morning and we decided to go get some lunch. We went to Sweet Tomato's (my mom and grandfather's all time favorite) and enjoyed a nice lunch together. After Da's 12th time to the dessert bar, we decided we should head back to visit with Tiss. When we got back, it was kind of a disaster in my eyes. I could tell she wasn't doing good at all. We just sat there and talked to her, even though we got no response from her, I knew she was listening to us. I told her that I loved her and that Landon was there to see her. That made her come to life!! :) For the 2 previous weeks, she really couldn't talk at all. But last Sunday, she clearly said, "Hi Landon" and smiled! Oh how that warmed my heart!! She touched his foot and rubbed his leg for a little while. Landon was getting a bit fussy and finally fell asleep and I decided that it was time for me to take him home after his long day. I said my goodbyes knowing deep down inside it was probably my last time seeing her. We got the call that same night telling us Tissie had past away. Ugh...that day was here. I didn't want it to be here, but I knew that it was for the best. She was in so much pain, and if anyone knew Tissie, you know she liked to be up and out and not stuck in a hospital bed. None the less, it was hard. The following days were kind of a whirlwind now looking back. I don't think any of us knew which end was up. Family calling, food like you've never seen arriving, my family coming and going, etc. Let's just say my house was CRAZY!!! So for the next couple of days family started coming in. We had the visitation on Wednesday night and the Memorial service was on Thursday. It was a very nice service. It finally hit me as I walked down the aisle to the front of the church with Da on my arm, that Tissie was gone forever. Only the memories we had made were left. It such a sad feeling. As these next couple of months go by, it will get better for me, for my mom, for my family, and especially for Da....I am determined to think so.
I said from the time that she was hospitalized 2 months ago that under these unfortunate circumstances, it brought tons of family in that I either had never met before or hadn't seen in a long time, and it was nice to catch up. But it makes me sad because now that everything is done with, family won't be coming in every other week or so. Please understand what I'm about to say...I by no means wanted to see her sick, but I liked her holding on to life because it made family come and see her and therefore, I got to see them. Now I'm sad because I won't get to see them near as much. So as I finish writing, I must say Thank you to Tissie...Thank you for being the grandmother that came to every sporting event no matter how far away, thank you for all those crazy outfits you wore (we secretly liked them no matter how crazy they were), thank you for all those pajama sets from Hong Kong even though we never wore them, thank you for all those Christmas presents wrapped in the newspaper comics because you ran out of wrapping paper (Christmas won't be the same anymore), thank you for all those times you wanted to take a roll home from a restaurant so you wrapped it in a napkin, thank you for all the crazy jewelry you gave me, thank you for eating all those rolls with me :), and thank you for all the thank you's I can't remember, but most of all....thank you for loving me no matter what!! You are going to be missed more than you will ever know! I can't wait for the day that we will all be together again!!


I LOVE YOU!! 11/18/28-07/20/08

This was her crazy self!! :)

Our last picture together...I love you Tissie!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

What a sweet,sweet tribute to Tissie. I know you will miss her dearly. I certainly understand how painful and sad it is to lose a loved one. Praise God for the good memories. I love you girl.

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

Bailey. . . that was BEAUTIFUL!!! I am bawling!!!!!
Thank you for sharing your intimately precious memories with us, I know Tissie must be smiling down on you now.
I love you, Doll!!!!