6.25.2008

04.06.08

I've so wanted to start a blog, but never really thought I had the time or the energy for this, but have finally decided to give in and try it! I guess I'll try to start at the beginning and fill in a little.



04.06.08 was by far was the best day of my life! My little man, Landon Reid was born!! It definitely was a surprise for him to come on the 6th, considering that he was not due until the 18th. I had gone in for my weekly check-up on Friday, April 4th, and the doctor was concerned that I had high blood pressure. Let me first inform you of how the doctor visits normally went....I tried so very hard through my whole pregnancy to see the same midwife, Laurie. The other ones were great, but I just felt like I clicked with Laurie. Normally she was there on Wednesdays and I had to go in the morning since the office was next to Northside Hospital and we had to deal with morning rush hour. What fun!! haha So anyways, normally Mom, Isabella, and I would load up and head to the doctor. It would include us checking-in and every week someone asked if Isabella was mine or my moms. We would reply "No, we just keep her." Then we would sit in the waiting room and Isabella would climb on the chairs a few time and then it would be time for us to go back. We would get in the room and Isabella always had a look of fear on her face. She never really caught on that the doctor was not there to see her! She would look at herself in the mirror for a few minutes and then she all of a sudden would look at my mom and you could see her thinking, "I'm missing something." And then the never ending asking/begging for crackers would start. And that is how she would entertain herself in the doctors office...by eating crackers. So, back to the last visit. This time my dad decided he wanted to go since he never had gone before. So we all load up and go. We get there and they take us back and they do my blood pressure. They don't act like it is high, but I really don't even ask. We go back to the room and the doctor comes in. (I had to see the doctor because there were no midwives that week.) She says she is worried about my blood pressure and checks it again and it is still high. She informs me that I am to go on full bed rest for the weekend until Monday when they get the blood work back. So now we have Isabella scared of the doctor, my mom looking looking a little nervous, and dad trying to entertain Isabella by saying loud things that I don't even remember, and me sitting on the table going "But I'm going to the Braves game tonight...I can't be on bed rest" and all in a 7 by 7 room. And we all wonder why my blood pressure was high!! haha Well I preceded on by going to the Braves game, against doctor and moms order, and it gets cancelled. Saturday morning I wake up and call the midwife on call to ask her a question. And yes, when she calls me back it's Laurie! YAY!! So if anything does happen this weekend, I get my favorite midwife there with me! She tells me that she is going to get on her work computer and check out my blood work and let me know if I need to come in or if I can be off bed rest. She didn't want me wasting my weekend sitting if I didn't have too. So needless to say, she calls back about 2 hours later and tells me that I need to come in that day because they are going to induce me because my blood work doesn't look good. She said that they were worried about Toxemia. The Montgomery's were here at that point and we all of a sudden went in to overdrive and frantically got everything together. As we are leaving, Andy and Tom Hudgens pull in our driveway and we all stand in our kitchen and pray together. Thank you all for that!! Definitely calmed my nerves down!

Mom and I drive to the hospital and get checked in and get set up in the room! Those rooms were amazing! They were so big and had lots of room! They got all the paperwork done and then gave me Cervadil. It is something that can help you go in to labor on your own, but it didn't work for me. We finally go to bed around 11:30 and anxiously wait for the next day!!!

The next morning they started Pitocin at 8 am and at 9am they break my water! Good lord, the pain that started then!! I had every intention of going natural until that happened. I labored for about 3 hours without anything and then couldn't take it anymore, so I got an epidural. That was my saving grace. I don't think I would have survived without it! The rest of the day I just layed there and visited with friends and family. I wanted anyone that wanted to be there to come. I am so the person that loves to have people around and I really wanted all the ones I loved to be there for this! I think there were close to 20-25 people there! It was so much fun! Around 6:30 PM, Laurie came in and said at 7 I was going to start to push! So she came in at 7 and at 7:02, with everyone in there that was going to be, the pushing began!! At 7:39 PM, Landon Reid was born!! He was so precious and HUGE!! None of ever believed that he would be that big. He was 8lbs 15oz!! I never dreamed that I would have that big of a baby. Once he was out, everyone forgot about me and focused their attention on him! At one point I looked over and everyone was crowded around the scale, with just me and the midwife in the background, all screaming "Look how huge he is", "Bailey, he's so big", etc but could I see a thing...Nope! I could only see the back of everyone...they finally brought him over to me and I got to hold the most precious thing ever! He was so sweet from the very beginning. I couldn't believe that he was finally here and I was holding him. The rest of the night is all really a blur. We got upstairs to our new room sometime around 10 or 10:30. I then just got to sit and stare and love on that sweet baby. It's crazy now to think back on that night. The time has definitely flown by and I can't even imagine how fast it will continue.





I can't wait to post more about him, but for now that is how he entered the world!! More to come shortly....I'm kind of already liking this a lot! :)



2 comments:

Leslie said...

Good job with your blog. Very cute! I think you will enjoy blogging. It is nice to write things down and be able to look at them later. You forget so many things! Love ya.

sarah may said...

Yay for blogging! It's so fun to read all about what everyone is doing and thinking especially when we are all so busy we barely have opportunities to talk like normal people! Love precious Landon, love you and the rest of the Merritt clan!