1.27.2011

Beech Mountain

Jay and I had plans to go to Beech Mountain, NC weekend after the snowstorm. Jay's sister and 17 (!) of her college friends were all going and invited me, Jay, and his brother to go too! I knew some of the other people that went just from knowing Jay for so long and being around his sister. I was a little worried that we might not be able to go since NC got it worse than us and the fact that we would be driving at night because Jay had to work most of the day Friday since they had been off. But a couple of car loads went up Friday during the day and said everything seemed fine and we shouldn't have any trouble!
We left Grayson about 6:15 and got to the cabin about 11:30. The drive was super easy and no problems at all. I was exhausted and quickly went to bed so I was well rested for skiing the next day. :) But....the college kids had a different idea. They thought it would be super awesome to stay up ALL NIGHT long and be crazy loud until 4:30 in the morning. I was up with them tossing and turning from about 2:15 on. Grrr....

(See I never really did that in college or anytime for that matter. I like my sleep and especially when you know you are going to be skiing/snowboarding the next day. But they obviously didn't mind)

I know I'm not that much older than the people that went on the trip, but I forget how lazy college kids can be. I was thinking we need to get up and head out to make the most of our day, but at 10:00 people were still sleeping and moving very slowly from their previous night. We skied all day and I forget how much I love it. I really want to live out west so that I have access to the mountains because I love skiing!! We headed back to the cabin, which was only 2 miles down the other side of the mountain for dinner and then back out to the mountain for night skiing.

Night 2: I figured would be a little calmer because they would have been tired from skiing. Nope. I was wrong again. This night was until 5:30. Lovely.....but they were up earlier and ready to go. We did basically the same thing again that day and used every last minute since it was the last night.
I have always wanted to try snowboarding, but never wanted to waste rentals and time to see if I really liked it or not. Megan (Jay's sister) snowboards and has never skiied before so we decided that we would switch Sunday night and try each others out. BIG MISTAKE!! hahaha We went to the green slope (which is the easiest and one we hadn't done all weekend) and got on the lift. We got to the top and we didn't realize that the exiting process would be a decline/major hill to us so we slid the whole way down on our butts. Megan got up and started doing pretty well. I on the other hand, couldn't even stand up. I kept falling and tried everything they were telling me. Jay finally held my hands and got me up but when he let go I just went sliding and couldn't stop so fell again. My wrists and butt hurt soooo bad from just trying to stand up that I unstrapped the board and proceeded to walk down the entire mountain. I don't like giving up, but I could not figure it out and wasn't wasting anymore of my time. Megan did make it down the mountain and didn't even fall. :) We quickly switched and liked our own things better!! I was glad to be able to try snowboarding without having to really get any of the stuff and waste too much time!
Night number 3: I knew for sure it would be an early night because they would be exhausted from staying up late the other two night, skiing for 2 days, and the fact that we had to be up at 9 so pack up and leave. WRONG AGAIN! This was the latest night of all. They were up until 6:30!! AHHH I was up with them from about 3:00 on. I was pissed by now, but didn't really want to say anything because I knew I would be "that girl". I hung in there and just dozed on and off, but was so over the being up every 10 minutes thinking I had slept for an hour! GRRRR!!

We had a great time and made some awesome memories!! We had the perfect weather. Sun was shining and wasn't too cold. And we had REAL snow! They didn't have to blow any snow that whole previous week so it was a real treat to get to ski on real snow on the east coast!! I really loved this trip also because a.) I didn't plan it and was just along for the ride, b.) didn't have to worry about anything because it wasn't my place to worry, c.) didn't have to worry about cooking because it was their trip, and d.) I didn't fall once!! They invited me to the next winter olympics! haha See you there!!! It was really nice to finally just take a seat on the back burner and just have fun!! Some of the group watching people do the jumps!! This was his "look" for the weekend. He would only take pictures like this!! Josh and Casey in line waiting on the liftThe end of night 1! Worn out and tired! Looking up the mountain as we went upOn the liftLooking back down at the lodge and ALL the peopleView from the top! It was so pretty!This was the only picture with his mask off. He was about to kill me for this too! haha What I had to do because Jay and his brother wouldn't do it with me....You can't really tell, but that is the drop off half way down the black diamond. Yep....this is where they saw me and asked me to be in the olympics! ;)Why hello there Megan!

The beautiful sunset over the mountains!

No comments: