8.15.2009

Shoal Creek

Ok, so I know many of you already know, but there are a few that have been bugging me to blog about my new job!! :) I am happy to say that I am a 1st grade teacher at Shoal Creek Elementary!! I had an interview on the Wednesday before the week of pre-planning for teachers and got hired that night at 7:15!! I was super pumped, and I actually had to start working the next day at 8:00. It was New Teacher Orientation so I had to go and do all that fun stuff. I was in a rush to get as much done as I could in my classroom because I new the week of pre-planning was going to be busy with things that did not include my classroom! The room I got was literally, EMPTY. Nothing was in there except some art paper and that's about it. So, it was nice that I didn't have to go through a lot of stuff, but it also meant that I had to get TONS of stuff to make it look like a classroom. I thought my walk-in closet at home was full of stuff for my class until I got it up there and realized that it took up barely any space. My mom and I basically worked from morning 'til night trying to get things organized and buying stuff. We worked until late at night, but it really paid off in the end. The week of pre-planning was busy with meetings and such, but it was such a fun week of meeting new people and getting accustomed to the school. I forgot to mention earlier, but I seriously have the best team of 1st grade teachers. There are 5 of us and they are so much fun! I am so blessed that I have people that are willing to help me when I feel like I am just overwhelmed with what to do next. (Thanks girls!!! :)) I also am at a school where the entire staff is willing to help. I haven't come across one person that has not wanted to help. I met all my kids at Open House and everyone was super sweet. I started out with 16 students, dropped 2, and then gained 4 more, so now I am at a total of 18 sweethearts! It really is a fun place to be working at. It is also great because Landon's babysitter is just 1 1/2 miles away from the school. He started going to Ms. Janet's when I started working at Glenn's for the end of the summer. I was nervous about getting a teaching job somewhere that was the total opposite direction of her house, but I couldn't have asked for a better place to get a job since it is so close to her.
So....I have completed my 2nd week of teaching and I think I've pretty much got the swing of things now! :) Or at least I hope I do. No....I really do. No worries for the kids in my class. I'll post pictures of my super cute kids as soon as my whole class is there on the same day! ;)

Now being called Ms. Merritt,
B

1 comment:

Chassidy said...

Welcome to the Creek!