8.15.2009

Our first trip to....

the ER!!!! Yes, I never really wanted to blog about our first trip, but having a boy, I knew I was bound to have to do it eventually. I must say though, it was not to get stitches or fix a broken bone (knock on wood....I really don't want to do that ever either, but I'm sure I will). So Thursday afternoon, I get a phone call as I'm leaving school from Ms. Janet saying that Landon really doesn't look good and that he had a 101 fever at 3. Well at 4 when I got him, it was 102.1. I knew he didn't feel good because when I got to her house he was sitting in her lap, monkey and mam and sleep sack all on him. Not a good sign.....Landon doesn't sit in my lap, much less her lap and "take a break". He really didn't look good at all. His face was kinda ghostly white. It freaked me out when I saw him. He just seemed out of it. We pass Dr. Jattan's office, the pediatrician, on our way home and I knew they didn't take walk-ins, but I knew something was wrong with him so I stopped in. I walked in and the nurse that I love was at the desk. (Yes, thank goodness!!) I couldn't say one word and she said "He doesn't look good at all." I started in on my "I know y'all don't take walk-ins, but I can't take a day of work tomorrow and I thought....." She just stopped me and said sign him in. I know Dr. J will want to see him. Perfect. I literally couldn't sit down before they called me back in front of other people (I felt really bad, but they were in the well room, so then I didn't feel so bad). Temp now 102.5. It is going up and he has medicine for it in him. He falls asleep in the 10 min. that we are waiting for her to come in. Dr. J comes in and notices this and says "Something is really wrong with this boy if he is asleep in my office" because normally he is a holy terror. Anyway she takes a look at him and notices that both of his ears are infected again. (This is the 3rd time since June, now. ughhh) He also has thrush from being on the antibiotics 2 weeks ago. She gives him a shot of some crazy powerful antibiotics which had a needle that I thought seriously might come out the other side of his leg. OUCH!
We left and came home and he laid in my lap all afternoon and evening. Was not interested in anyone, not even Pops! He wouldn't eat or drink all night and so the on-call dr. said I would need to take him in if he didn't eat/drink before 9. Well we got a little down him and I put him to bed about 8:15. I go to bed about 10 and at 11:15-11:30 I hear him crying. I walk in and as I pick him up....throws up all over me. Great. I go to put him on the changing table and he does it again. Ok...I'm going to now take all his clothes off to get him cleaned up and he does it a 3rd time!!! I finally call for back up, and we take his temp and it's over 103. (The on-call dr told me that if he started throwing up, he was dehydrated.) So me, mom, dad, and Landon all head to Rockdale. I really wanted to go to Scottish Rite, but I knew that I had to work and didn't want to be that far away not knowing how long we would be there. So we get there, and as we're getting checked in, I become sick. And then mom becomes sick and then Landon is sick again. The nurse checking us in seriously thought we were crazy!! haha I feel fine then and get taken back to our room. We wait a little while before we're seen and mom still isn't feeling great so Alex comes to get her about 2:30 am. They proceed to start an IV and our sweet nurse Joy is trying her best to take care of my sleepless child who is pitiful. The first attempt at the IV is in the foot so he couldn't mess with it much. I'm holding Landon, dad is holding the legs and she goes in for the kill. It wasn't too bad, but she can't get the needle in the vein. She finally does after tons of wailing and she says it's not good enough so she has to pull it out. Grrr. So dad and I switch spots and he is now holding him and I'm the helper. Ok. We can do this, I know we can. We're going for the hand now. (Blood, needles, stuff like that doesn't bother me, I guess until someone is doing it to my child.) So she starts again and we finally get the needle in the vein. I'm feeling fine until some unknown reason I start to feel light headed and I realize I'm going down unless someone is there to catch me. I voice what is about to happen and she can't let go of his hand because there is a needle in his hand!! Ahhh...I seriously felt helpless and didn't know where to go. I just lean on my dad's bad shoulder (thanks!) and hang out until she can walk me to the chair to sit down and EVERYTHING is spinning, I can't hear anything, and then it hits again. I'm sick.....once it was over for the 2nd time I felt fine again. So I re-evaluate myself and decide I'm going back to help finish up and get everything taped up. As I'm getting to the bed, I hear her yell "NO" and I look down and the IV has come out and blood is squirting all over from his hand!! Anyway, we get all of it cleaned up, get anti-nausea medicine in him so we can try to get him to drink fluids. Needless to say, he drinks, holds it down, has color back in his face, and we are set to go home at 4:30 am!! It was seriously the longest night of my life and after 1 hour of sleep, I arose to go greet my lovelies at school and try to function. I think I did ok for the most part!!!
So, I really hope that there are no more trips to the ER anytime in our near future because they are never fun!!

Still playing nurse to him,
B

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I hope you are feeling better. Your parents were telling us the story yesterday and we could not believe it. So bad its almost comical.

Anonymous said...

what a story! one you'll never forget. glad you all got out of the er alive. :)
dana m