8.20.2009

ER trip #2

Yep. So the other night when I said that I hoped we wouldn't go anytime soon...well I think I jinxed myself because we went again today!! :( Ever since last Thursday night when we went, Landon has never stopped running fever. He has pretty much had one at some point during the day, every day. Not too much fun! A couple of nights ago I started feeling like I was getting a cold and had the whole sinus headache, etc. Well I started taking Tylenol Sinus Nighttime. I guess that mixed with me just being exhausted from school, I'm OUT at night. The other morning my dad told me that he had been up with Landon at some crazy time of the night and that he just got him up and played with him downstairs for 2 hours!!! And I never heard them....I normally would.
Anyway, last night was evidently another one of those nights where he was up, but did I hear him, nope. Thankfully they did! haha Well they were basically up with him all night because he never slept because he couldn't stop coughing and had a fever of 103!! They took a shower, somewhat played, laid on the couch, etc. And I never heard them again. I guess it was a good thing since I had to get up and go to school. I talked to his doctor yesterday morning and she said that if he had run fever the night before, she was sending him to the ER because she didn't know what else to do. He only had a low grade fever so she didn't send us. But I talked to her this morning after I was already at school ( :/ ) and she said she really felt like we needed to go to Egleston to have chest x-ray done and more tests run since it's been a fever for a week. So I call my mom and she gets him packed up, I call a sub even though I haven't earned a day off yet, and mom gets him packed up and she comes to get me at the school.

Off we go to the ER. Feeling like we have a legitimate reason for going. Ok, never been to a Children's ER, but I loved it!! It was so nice and clean and so sweet to the poor, sickly child! But, before we could be seen the nurse said that since Landon was here for a "respiratory" problem, he had to wear a mask so that he was spreading germs every time he coughed. I told her I would attempt it, but I would make NO promises as to keeping it on him because he is not the type for that. But, he actually wore the thing. He looked so funny, but so cute. He definitely didn't feel good because he kept it on the whole 1 1/2 that we waited in the waiting room. I'm sure he was so worn out from not sleeping last night, so he would doze off in between fits from another little girl in the waiting room. As we were sitting there, he was getting hotter and hotter by the min. When we finally went back, our sweet nurse Megan took his vitals. Hold your breath for his temperature....104!!!! Holy freaking smokes.....he was so, so hot and really just out of it.
The resident came in, took a look at him, reported to his boss, boss came in asked the SAME EXACT questions, and then I think about 3 other people needed the same story. Why couldn't they just all come in at the same time and let me tell them!?!? Motrin was given, chest x-ray done, a lot of crying and whimpering, a lot of nasty coughing, another huge shot in to each leg, and then the same exact diagnosis....still a horrible ear infection. Grrr....won't they just go away sometime soon. So we were ordered for the exact same shots for the next 2 days (yeah his legs will be hurting because they will do them in the same spot each time) and then hopefully he will be on the road to recovery. We are going to the ENT next Tuesday for them to check on tubes since this is his 3rd ear infection in 5 1/2 weeks. This trip to the ER didn't result in bruised feet and hands trying to get an IV in and it resulted in a super cute gown he had to wear! I know he didn't feel good, but the gown was probably the cutest thing ever. Just take a look below at the pictures! :)

Now I really think this was a last trip to the ER because they took great care of us this time!

Loving my little patient,
B

Dozing off with monkey right by his side! ;)

Not too happy about sitting on the bed for any length of time....just wanted to be held.

So pitiful....but the gown is SOOO cute! My mom wouldn't let me bring the gown home because she said they wash them and reuse them?? Is that true?? I figured I was entitled to it since I'm paying for the piece of gauze they used too. But I didn't take it. :(

This is where we spent our day...on the bed together!

This is the only time in his life when he has cuddled for 7 days straight!!

Wishing everyone would leave him alone so he could finally get some sleep!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I have 2 gowns from Scottish Rite. We stole them and I admit it. Great coverups for painting. Maybe you can get one in the future. Hope the little man feels better soon.

Chassidy said...

ER trips are the worst! I'm glad this trip was better than the last and I am glad that Landon is felling better.